Our special November 19 event “Chicago’s Wild Beauty” Chicago’s Wild Beauty Event was extremely successful! Two great speakers and excellent food. The word enjoyable comes to mind here.
Information on and registration for the biggest conference series in Chicagoland (held only on odd years) is listed here: Wild Things 2017Conference Homepage It is in Chicago on February 18th and there will be 86 programs, listed here: Wild Things 2017 Programs (86)
You can contribute to a cause in the memory of Dan Obermeier who tragically passed away by accident this fall: Dan Obermeier Remeberance . Thank you to all who have contributed, we have over $700 received.
The BIGGEST AMERICAN SEED EXCHANGE of native plants happened on November12th. This year 75 native species were represented!!! Lots of fun! See: 2016 Seed Exchange Webpage
Our DuPage chapter of Wild Ones was given this letter of appreciation by the national organization for our donating to and co-sponsoring the national meeting in 2016.
One of our chapter members was interviewed on WBEZ Radio about Chicago’s nature on October 18th. Listen here: Mike MacDonald WBEZ Interview
Local Wild Ones members Brendan and Jessica Walsh have produced a documentary TV show: Making Waves: Battle for the Great Lakes. It aired in two parts, September 11th and 18th. Show info: Great-Lakes Documentary on PBS and a Sun-Times article: Great Lakes Documentary Back-Story
Monarchs are rare this year but Joe LeCroy offers this pic on the upper right.
WELCOME to the Greater DuPage Wild Ones where you will be able to:
- Learn about NATIVE PLANTS enhancing your landscape
- See landscaped native yards at yard tours of our members
- See rare wildflowers on our NATURE WALKS
- Enjoy hearing excellent speaker presentations
- Obtain rare seeds from Northern Illinois native plants at our Seed Exchange
- Receive a monthly Chapter email bulletin
- Read the NATIONAL Journal online magazine
- Enjoy the friendship of 180 local native plant gardeners at picnics or potluck dinners
- Benefit wildlife and the environment
Your $37 membership is also tax-deductible. We meet throughout the county, and nearby areas. Please Join us!! Join DuPage Wild Ones
WORTH YOUR TIME
Sean Menke discussed Illinois ants with our group recently. We have 131 species of ants in Illinois and we learned that the species of ants in restored natural areas begin to resemble those of undisturbed areas after 10 years of restoration, See: Illinois Ants
Our hosted YouTube and You videos worth watching:
- How Wolves Change Rivers: https://www.youtube.com/embed/ysa5OBhXz-Q?feature=player_embedded
- The importance of prairie preservation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl5wzHjzvMk
- Lanscaping: Pride, Science & Law: https://www.youtube.com/user/quarryjoy#p/c/C4CD10D20C5701BC
Wild Ones largest chapter is hosting an 11 speaker conference in January: Oshkosh, WI January Conference
Pollinators and Pesticides is an e-book that discusses neonicotinoids and their effects: Pollinators and Pesticides
An excellent new online resource is the Hebert Small-Scale Rain Garden Guide. It is free and specifies native plants, see pp. 48-49. You may have met Kevin Hebert at one of our workshops.
Recent work at the site of our 2016 Potluck is described here: DuPage UU Church Story
Native Plant Nurseries: Linked on our own website:
Native Plant Nurseries
Yard Burns on YouTube: Ted Lowe’s Ted Lowe’s 2014 Yard Burn
Drone film of a prairie burn: Our own Kevin Collins participated in this cool video which was filmed from a drone at Bluff Spring Fen in Cook County: Bluff Spring Fen Burn – Drone film