You can contribute to a cause in the memory of Dan Obermeier who tragically passed away by accident this month: Dan Obermeier Remeberance
Our DuPage chapter of Wild Ones was given this letter of appreciation by the national organization for our donating to and co-sponsoring the national meeting in 2016.
Local Wild Ones members Brendan and Jessica Walsh have produced a documentary TV show: Making Waves: Battle for the Great Lakes. Part 2 will air on WTTW channel 11 Sunday September 18 at 5PM. Show info: Great-Lakes Documentary on PBS and a Sun-Times article: Great Lakes Documentary Back-Story
Monarchs are rare this year but Joe LeCroy offers this pic on the upper right.
You can find a yard plant sale Sunday September 18, 2016 9am – 2pm at 444 Montrose Ave., Elmhurst, contact: cell- 847-372-0437 ask for Dennis Paige. The Paiges are moving to CO and you can dig into their yard to save their plants. Bring your shovel.
Fermi Lab is asking for volunteers for October 15th work on their prairie which may include seed collecting.
WELCOME to the Greater DuPage Wild Ones where you will be able to:
- Learn about NATIVE PLANTS enhancing your landscape
- See landscaped native yards at yard tours of our members
- See rare wildflowers on our NATURE WALKS
- Enjoy hearing excellent speaker presentations
- Obtain rare seeds from Northern Illinois native plants at our Seed Exchange
- Receive a monthly Chapter email bulletin
- Read the NATIONAL Journal online magazine
- Enjoy the friendship of 180 local native plant gardeners at picnics or potluck dinners
- Benefit wildlife and the environment
Your $37 membership is also tax-deductible. We meet throughout the county, and nearby areas. Please Join us!! Join DuPage Wild Ones
Our YouTube and You videos worth watching:
- How Wolves Change Rivers: https://www.youtube.com/embed/ysa5OBhXz-Q?feature=player_embedded
- The importance of prairie preservation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl5wzHjzvMk
- Lanscaping: Pride, Science & Law: https://www.youtube.com/user/quarryjoy#p/c/C4CD10D20C5701BC
An excellent new online resource is the Hebert Small-Scale Rain Garden Guide. It is free and specifies native plants, see pp. 48-49. You may have met Kevin Hebert at one of our workshops.
The BIGGEST AMERICAN SEED EXCHANGE of native plants will happen on November12th. Last year 93 native species were represented!!! Info o our Calendar page tab above.
Pollinators and Pesticides is an e-book that discusses neonicotinoids and their effects: Pollinators and Pesticides
Invasive species, urban runoff, hormone and pharmaceutical contamination of rivers, phragmites control, Piping Plover reintroductions, and a maps of a 22 year invasion of the zebra mussel from Lake Erie to the Colorado River are all in the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative at: Great Lakes Restoration
Recent work at the site of our April 2016 Potluck is described here: DuPage UU Church Story
Native Plant Nurseries: Linked on our own website:
Native Plant Nurseries
Yard Burns on YouTube: Ted Lowe’s Ted Lowe’s 2014 Yard Burn
Drone film of a prairie burn: Our own Kevin Collins participated in this cool video which was filmed from a drone at Bluff Spring Fen in Cook County: Bluff Spring Fen Burn – Drone film